“While an undergrad student at University of Hawaii, Hilo, I looked around at my college classmates, many who grew up in Hawaii as well, and realized that every one of them was planning to move away to the mainland upon graduation. At that moment, I recognized Hawaii’s crisis. Our most able and intelligent students are seeking employment elsewhere in the nation while our own economy remains stagnant. I can’t stand to see my home island lose its future when I see so much potential in the people of this community.” -Anthony Marzi
WHO WE ARE. Hawaii TechWorks is a non-governmental, social enterprise organization working in East Hawaii and surrounding communities.
OUR GOALS. These high-level goals direct the efforts of Hawaii TechWorks leadership, staff, and volunteers:
- Develop economic opportunity so a next generation of leaders can emerge
- Build vibrant communities that enable high quality economic activity
- Facilitate the development of strong community ties through informal networking and relationship-building, new job opportunities for local residents, and spurred community economic development.
- Coordinate with existing economic development activities through strategic project planning and outreach
- Initiate projects that lead to creating jobs in highly skilled areas that are not currently numerous in the local job market
OUR MISSION. The mission of Hawaii TechWorks is to promote community and economic development, and educational, research, and social enterprise activities in the east side of the County of Hawaii.
WHAT DO WE VALUE MOST?
- Accountability. Hawaii TechWorks holds itself answerable to its Senior Advisors, Staff, Volunteers & Partners for its commitments and promises made in order to build trust and confidence.
- Empowerment. Hawaii TechWorks places a high priority on cultivating leadership both internally and in the community for far-reaching and long-term sustainable impact.
- Integrity. Hawaii TechWorks believes that integrity is indispensable to its mission.
- Excellence. Hawaii TechWorks gives its best at what it does and seeks to be the best at what it does.
- Community. Hawaii TechWorks believes that our island communities are stronger together than any of us are alone.
- Sustainability. Hawaii TechWorks creates self-sufficient business models that drive high quality economic development and uses resources in a way that respects people, culture, and the environment.
- Accountability. Hawaii TechWorks quantifies outcomes and creates transparency throughout the organization.
- Efficiency. Hawaii TechWorks uses the resources that are available in most productive manner possible for maximum efficiency.
- Collaboration. Hawaii TechWorks leverages the strengths of individuals collectively.
- Holistic. Hawaii TechWorks creates multifaceted projects to meet real needs.